Sunday, March 15, 2009

Outside/Inside.


These are shots taken from outside and inside the plane just before we landed in Bethel. I sat in the last seat before storage. Erika sat to my right. Our flight from Bethel to our final destination was a packed plane with 4 people. The other two people with us ended up being the secretary of the school and the priest of the town. They were very friendly and helpful once we spoke up at the end of our flight with the question, "is this Russian Mission?" We arrived an hour early but were picked up by Jason (the principal) after about ten minutes. Ten minutes was just enough time to scramble through my pack to immediately put on my Carhartts since I was freezing in the wind. The next few minutes was very comedic with Erika helping me try and find my gloves. I eventually settled for some fleece socks.

Jason showed up and gave us quick tour of the school and informed us that we would be the only math teachers this week since their math teacher had taken sick leave. He seemed excited to put us to work. This should be an interesting week. After meeting some of the other staff, we headed off to our barracks. We are bunking with another teacher and the accommodations are quite nice. The apartment is 30 feet from the school and has all the amenities.

For now my brain is mush. Erika and I are about to go adventure the village for a bit before we succumb to the zombification that has been brought down upon us by our travels.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jimie & Erika,
    I am glad you made it safely to RM. Sorry for the cold weather spell. Socks are versatile things:). I will introduce your two blog sites at the department meeting tomorrow. We are excited to hearing from you all. Have fun and apply your mathematics skills.
    uka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jimie,

    No frostbite! I am glad you made it in one piece. I hope you have a good time and are able to connect with the students you encounter. Post more pictures please!

    Tah tah.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimie,
    I had many requests for a photo of you without anything on your head?! Could you please... there are rumors...
    Ute

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be a great adventure for you to see what rural Alaskan teachers face. Make good connections with the teachers and principal, rural Alaska is a small community and you will be surprised how this week will affect the rest of your teaching career. Since I'm the only professor in special education here at UAF, I thought I would ask you how you are adapting your lessons to meet individual needs? Since you and Erika will be the teachers of record this week are they sharing the IEP goals and objectives with you? Good luck!!! Joanne Healy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jimie,
    Good to see you got there in one piece. Keep your head warm.
    -Rob

    ReplyDelete